Death of Ray Reese, 1906

From the July 12, 1906 Skidmore New Era (Skidmore, Missouri), page 1:

Meets Death in Runaway.

Skidmore Young Man is Killed in Runaway Near Burlington Junction While Returning from Celebration.  Friend is Injured.

The people of this community were shocked when they heard of the death of Ray Reese and the injury of Claude Stults that was caused by a runaway near Burlington Junction about 10:30 o’clock the evening of July 4th.

The boys had attended the celebration at Burlington Junction and had started home.  All went well until the railroad had been crossed, when the horse they were driving suddenly started to run.  Ray, who was driving, was unable to stop the horse and Claude seized the lines to assist him when both lines broke and all control of the horse was lost.  Stults immediately stepped from the vehicle and held to the side until he was able to hold no longer when he was thrown to the ground badly spraining his left hip.  Claude says he does not know whether Ray jumped before or after he did, but the first he saw of him he was lying at full length in the road.  Frank Cole and two ladies were near at hand when the accident happened and Mr. Cole hurried to the spot and found the young man in an unconscious condition.  He was placed in a buggy belonging to a Mr. Sharp who, with Mr. Cole’s help, took him back to town while Mr. Stults rode back with the young ladies. A physician examined Ray’s injuries and ordered him taken to a hotel.  The examination disclosed the fact that in falling the back of the head had struck some solid substance with sufficient force to cause concussion of the brain.  He passed away about midnight without regaining consciousness.

His remains were brought to this place on the Thursday morning passenger and taken to the home of his mother on East High street, where they were kept until Friday morning at ten o’clock when they were taken to the M. E. church where funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. H. Welton.  The church was not large enough to contain the great number that had assembled to show respect for the departed and sympathy for the remaining members of the family.  After services at the church the body was taken to Graham where it was interred in the I. O. O. F. cemetery by the side of his father, Lancing Reese, whose death resulted from an accident while running a threshing outfit in Kansas a number of years ago.

Ray Reese was born June 11, 1887, and died July 4, 1906, making him 19 years and 23 days old at the time of his death.

He was the oldest son of Mrs. Mary E. Reese, of this city, and leaves besides the mother, one sister, Lottie, and two brothers, Elmer and Lancing, to mourn his loss.  By his death his mother loses a dutiful son, the sister and brothers a kind and loving brother, and his many companions a liberal and true-hearted friend.

The family have the heart-felt sympathy of all in their great sorrow.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *