Ida Barkley Poisoned by Toadstools, 1905

From the September 21, 1905 Skidmore New Era (Skidmore, Missouri), page 1:

Poisoned by Toadstools.

Mrs. Ida Barkley is recovering from a severe illness brought on by tasting a toadstool which she mistook for a mushroom.  Last Saturday morning her little son brought the toadstool to her and she took a bite of it before she found that it was not a mushroom.  The taste was disagreeable and she threw the toadstool away and spitted out what she had taken in her mouth, but not before the poison had been absorbed in sufficient quantity to make her very sick.  A physician was called and found her in a very serious condition.  It was thought best to call her daughters from Maryville and St. Joseph.  They arrived Saturday evening and were glad to find their mother better.

 

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *