John G. Hays Sale, 1918

Hays land changing hands in 1918 — here’s the account from the March 7, 1918 Skidmore News (Skidmore, Missouri), page 1:

Sale of Hays Land

The real estate of the late John G. Hays was sold in Maryville last Saturday, and quite a number of persons from this vicinity attended.

The home farm, consisting of 320 acres, has been held by the Hays family for over sixty years, having been purchased by Thomas R. Hays in 1856.

Very good prices were obtained for the several tracts of land sold.  The homestead, the north half of Section 3, Township 63, Range 38, brought $122.50 an acre.  Earl Ward bought the northwest fourth and Vernon Ward the northeast quarter.

The Ward brothers had contemplated moving “away down south,” but have now changed their minds and will move to their new purchase.  We are glad to see them stay here.

Pearl Hays bid in 172 acres of the land two miles northwest of town at $117, and R. I. Bilby bought the balance of that tract, about 140 acres, at $33 per acre.

Pearl Logan secured the land on this side of the Nodaway river, southeast of town, for $55 an acre, there being about 175 acres in two tracts.

Virgil Argo obtained the 12 acre tract of land in Burr Oak Grove.

800 Acres of Land to be sold at Auction in partition of the estate of John G. Hays, deceased, on Saturday, March 2, 1918 at West Door of the Court House in Maryville, Mo., at about 1:30 p.m.  This land lies in the vicinity of Skidmore, Mo., and is composed of various sized tracts.  This land will be offered free of incumbrances in tracts to suit the bidders and will then be offered as a whole.  The sales will be approved in the way that will realize the largest sum of money to the estate.  Parties desiring to view this land prior to the sale may call on H. W. Montgomery or Pearl C. Hays, executors of said estate, at Skidmore.  Terms -- Cash.  John F. Dowden, Sheriff of Nodaway County, Mo.

(click to enlarge) Advertisement from the February 21, 1918 Skidmore News (Skidmore, Missouri), page 8.