Landmark Elevator Torn Down

Time and progress change every town, and the Skidmore grain elevator fell victim to both, as reported in the November 12, 1914 New Era:

An Old Landmark Torn Down.

One of the old landmarks of Skidmore, perhaps the oldest building in town, is being torn down.

The grain elevator, now owned by Edward Bosley, is being wrecked by the Burlington railway and removed from the companies right-a-way.

This building was erected in 1883, just three years after the town was laid out.  It was built and run by Edward Nash, who afterwards sold it to Henry Huffman, who in turn sold it to L. F. Hammond and Wesley Clark.  About eighteen years ago Edward Bosley purchased it and has owned it ever since.

The first twenty or twenty-five years of its existence, it did a tremendous business.  In the winter time, teams hauling corn were unloading at the dumps from before daylight to long after dark.  For hours during the busy season, there would be from fifteen to twenty teams in line waiting to weigh and dump their loads, but the day of selling corn in Nodaway county is past, and the grain elevators went with them.

Last year there were thousands of bushels of corn shipped to Skidmore.  To be sure there is  a large quantity of wheat shipped from Skidmore, but this does not require the necessity of a large elevator.

This elevator stood on the railroad right-of-way and the Company asked for its removal, hence the wreckage.