New M. E. Church Plans, 1905

Exciting news for the congregation of the Skidmore M. E. Church, as reported in the September 28, 1905 Skidmore New Era, page 1:

New M. E. Church.

We have examined the plans and specifications for the Skidmore M. E. Church.  They are beautiful in design and explicit in detail, and if the plans are carried out according to the specifications, it will be one of the most substantial and convenient churches in Northwest Missouri and will be an ornament to our town, and a credit to the people who build it.

The plan calls for a brick veneered church 54×60 feet with full basement, built of concrete blocks 9 inches high in the clear.

In the basement story there will be a Sunday School room, ladies’ parlor, class room, hall, book room, furnace and fuel rooms.  In the second story there will be a vestibule, pastors study and organ and choir loft.  The auditorium and lecture room are to be furnished in fresco and polished hard pine, seated with circular pews in oak.  The auditorium and lecture room are to be separated by a vertical rolling partition and when thrown together there will be seating space, within full view and easy hearing of the speaker, to accommodate five hundred people.  The windows in the basement will be filled with English prism glass and those in the main building with art glass.