Skidmore Bank, 1900

Business news from best corner of the state of Missouri, as reported the August 10, 1900 Skidmore Standard, page 1:

The Skidmore Bank. Incorporated.  Capital, $10,000.  J. M. Lamar, President.  D. R. Baker, Cashier.  John Barrett, Vice President.  Does a general banking business.  Your business solicited.

Advertisement for the Skidmore Bank of Skidmore, Missouri, as printed in the August 24, 1900 Skidmore Standard newspaper.

Another Bank in Skidmore.
Will Open for Business Next Week.

For some time it has been pretty generally understood in and around Skidmore that a new bank would soon be started in town, but not until within the past ten days was the enterprise known to be an assured fact.

The organization is now effected, and early next week the new bank, with a capital of $10,000.00, will open its doors for business, with J. M. Lamar, president; John Barrett, vice president; and D. R. Baker, cashier.

The president of the new enterprise, Mr. Lamar, came from Elmo. He is a young man, and is said to be an all-around, thorough banker with a perfect knowledge of the business in all its details. He has made a personal canvas of the surrounding country during the past two months to satisfy himself that there is business enough in Skidmore’s territory to warrant the starting of a new bank; and it is upon the knowledge gained in this canvass that the new institution will open next week with the assurance of success.

There is no denying the fact that Skidmore lies in the best corner of the state of Missouri and is rapidly growing and drawing new trade. We are, therefore, open to new enterprises and The Skidmore Bank – the name of the new enterprise – is a welcome addition to our little city.

Mr. D. R. Baker, cashier, formerly of Elmo but lately of Maryville, is pretty well known to most of the people in this part of the country. He is a good man to have in a good town.

Mr. John Barrett, vice president, is no new man. He is one of the prominent farmers, west of town, and will be a vertebrae in the back-bone of the new institution.