The New Normal

From the August 10, 1905 Skidmore New Era, page 1:

Maryville Gets The Normal.

Saturday was a day of rejoicing in Maryville. The cause of this rejoicing was a telegram from J. E. Swanger, Secretary of State, announcing the fact that Maryville was the choice of the commission named by Governor Folk to select a location for the new normal school to be located in Northwest Missouri, over the cities Stanberry, Savannah, Albany and Rock Port.

From the account the Daily Tribune gives of the excitement and rejoicing, it surely was a noisy place from the time the message was received until late at night. Whistles blew and bells of the churches rang, a small cannon was brought from its place and added its mighty bellow to the barks of pistols and firecrackers and the shouts and hurrahs of the citizens.

Speeches were made in the club rooms and ladies left parlors where they were being entertained and joined in the rejoicing. The band was out and played as it never played before; the crowds followed the band through the streets shouting and laughing. The city received the congratulations of those cities which were its opponents.

The site selected for the school is west of the city and comprises almost ninety acres. The Seminary grounds comprising 10 acres, a 6 acre tract of the Robinson land, 22 1/2 acres of land that belongs to W. A. Yetter, that lies just west of the Gaunt Nursery, which also goes to make up a part of the tract. The Gaunt tract consists of 20 acres and there is also a tract of 28 acres lying just south of the Wabach railway, that belongs to a Mr. Miller. This site as many of our readers know is very desirable owing to its location; it being only a few minutes walk or drive from the heart of the city.