The Skidmore Hospital

Medical news from the January 20, 1899 Skidmore Standard:

The Skidmore Hospital

Some of our readers, perhaps, are not aware of the fact that Skidmore has a hospital within her corporate limits, and, pinned right down to rock bottom facts, she hasn’t; but she has a “lock up,” and it is one of the characteristics of our citizens to use every means to an end and make the most of what they have, so when it became necessary the calaboose, built for the restraint of evil doers, was readily transformed into a pleasant, comfortable shelter for the sick and weary traveler.

Sunday, word was brought to town that two men traveling in a covered wagon had stopped at the corner, one mile west of town, and one of the men was dying.  A self-appointed committee of three or four of our good citizens went out and found the man suffering with Asthema and in a very critical condition.  He was brought to town and given quarters in the calaboose, and is now rapidly growing better.

A more generous people can not be found anywhere than the citizens of Skidmore and vicinity.  The distressed and unfortunate never call upon them in vain.