Town Improvements

The editor of the Skidmore Standard was heavily invested in the reputation, success, and business future of his town.  After all, the town was named for his ancestors.  This interest frequently led him to report (and often chastise the town) on issues concerning town improvements.  Here are a few:

From the May 25, 1900 Skidmore Standard:
To all whom it may concern, be it hereby known that S. P. Smith cut the poles for the new hitchracks and hauled them to town with his span of ancient yellow mules. Of course the Skidmore Improvement Association paid for them, but “Sterl” treated the ladies so nicely that the poles or the work was donated, anyway it was considered. The old mules are justly entitled to the best rack in town.

From the April 26, 1904 Skidmore Standard:
This town is sorely in need of more hitch racks. It is almost impossible for the farmers to find a hitching place here on a busy day. Let’s fix up our hitch racks and show the farmers that we appreciate their coming to town by having a good place for them to tie their fine teams.

From the April 26, 1901 Skidmore Standard, page 5:
As spring advances improvements and preparations for the summer season are made. Our merchants find that the sun shining in through the show windows is very unpleasant; besides it injures such goods as millinery. Awnings were put up this week in front of J. F. Kellogg’s store and the Diggs building which contains the butcher shop and millinery store. It is a great improvement to the appearance of both buildings.

A new sidewalk was put down in front of the M. E. church South parsonage last Monday. No one would be more willing to “put your name in the paper” if some more of our citizens would repair their walks, and some that have none would build new ones. There is not a town in this part of the state that has more side walks according to its size than Skidmore; yet that is no reason why we should stop building them. Let us continue to build walks until there is not a street in the whole town but what has a good four foot walk on both sides. When this is done we may feel like inviting President McKinley to visit our thriving little city.

From the March 22, 1901 Skidmore Standard, page 1:
The Hanamo Telephone Company is talking very strongly of putting a number of ‘phones in the country near this place. Five of our up-to-date and prosperous farmers have promised to take ‘phones and we are confident that when others see what great benefits are to be derived from the use of the telephone service there will be more take advantage of this opportunity to be in communion with our town and their neighbors. The day will be here soon when a home without telephone service will be considered as a “back number.” Those who have promised to take ‘phones are: T. B. Slaughter, J. R. Bagby, James Strickler, F. C. Barber, and James Cook.