William Albright’s Big Land Deal

Real estate news from the August 15, 1912 Skidmore New Era, page 1:

A Big Land Deal.

William Albright sold his farm of 255 acres northeast of Skidmore to his son Henry Albright of Alexander, Nebraska, and his son-in-law J. D. Montgomery of Maryville.  The papers were made out Tuesday and possession will be given March 1st.  Mr. Montgomery gets the home place of 135 acres and will move on it in the spring.  Mr. Albright gets the west 120 acres. He will not move here.

This is one of the best farms in this part of the county, and by the way, it was on this farm that the first settlement of Western Nodaway county was made, while the red men of the forest roamed the prairies and woodlands of Northwest Missouri at will, an excentric old pioneer and hermit, built on what is now this farm, a rude log cabin and opened up a small truck patch for corn and potatoes.  Here he hunted, fished and gathered his little crop of corn, potatoes and tobacco and quietly lived for many years, “Monarch of all he surveyed.”

When he died friendly hands cut down a cottonwood tree standing near his lonely hut, chopped off the butt cut, split it in halves and hewed out the centers like two troughs, placed the body in one side and turned the other over it for a lid and in this rude casket, made of only two pieces, the old pioneer was laid to rest.