William M. Albright Farm

From the March 11, 1909 Skidmore New Era (Skidmore, Missouri), page 1:

Got His Title to Farm From President James Buchanan.

Probably the only piece of land of anything near its size anywhere in the country today in which the present owner obtained his title direct from the government, is the farm belonging to Mr. Albright northeast of town.

Wm. M. Albright entered 240 acres of his present farm on New Years day 1855, paying $1 per acre and received a patent for same bearing the signature of President James Buchanan, dated December 1, 1857.  This farm today is worth at least $100 per acre and is therefore an instance of a farmer living to see his purchase increase one hundred fold.  Since the original purchase Mr. Albright has added several acres to his farm paying for the additions from $10 to 15 per acre.

Fifty-four years is a long time in this day and age of rapid changes for the title of one farm to remain vested in one person, but this is how long Mr. Albright has owned this farm, and more remarkable too, no other individual has ever owned it, nor has he during all that time ever placed one cent of incumbrance against his title.

Wm. M. Albright belongs to one of the best known families in this part of the country.  He was born in Guilford county, North Carolina in July 26, 1833 and came to Missouri with his parents in 1837, settling first in Clinton, afterward moved to Platte and then Andrew county and from there to this county in 1857.  He was married to Miss Agnes C. Culp, sister of Elisha Culp, a prominent farmer of Green township.  11 children were born to this union, 8 of whom are still living.

Mr. Albright will leave the farm for a while this spring and visit his son, Wm. of Alexander, Neb.  His son-in-law, J. D. Montgomery of Maryville will accompany him for a ten days visit.

 

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *